Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The One Time Only Prayer

The following One Time Only Prayer was taken from the partially-completed manuscript I wrote for my beloved cousin after he overcame addiction. Before Gary passed away he had been clean and sober for several years and approved each of the prayers in the book. Though written for addicts, this prayer fits most of us at some point during our lives. But once we pray it, we need never pray it again because we know God has answered.
I pray you will sense God's forgiveness and the intense love Christ offers and feels for you. Merry 
Christmas,my friend! 

Dear Father God,  
I feel so unworthy. I have no right to talk to you, but I’m desperate. I can’t stand this torment any longer. I’ve made a mess of everything. I’ve failed my family; I’ve failed my friends; I’ve failed myself; I’ve failed you. I’m at the end of my rope. I don’t know how to help myself and no one else can help me. So, I’m begging you to help me, God. Please help me!
            It’s hard for me to believe you would care about someone like me, but I do believe. I choose to believe. I declare it aloud right now: I believe your Son Jesus is Lord. I believe you sent him to die on the cross for all my sins, I believe you raised him from the dead. Please forgive my sins.
(Pause here to ask for forgiveness for each specific sin God brings to your mind.)
Lord Jesus, now that my sins are forgiven and my heart is clean, would you please send your Holy Spirit to live inside me? I want him to guide and teach me. I want him to lead me out of my addiction. I want to obey you. I need the comfort you can bring.
            Thank you, Lord. I believe that you came to live inside me the instant I asked. It doesn’t matter if I feel different or not — I am different. I believe that you now see me as righteous through your son Christ Jesus. I believe you rescued me from the kingdom of darkness and made me into a completely new person. I am clean! Thank you! Praise you! I am not ashamed to declare aloud what you did for me. I pray all this in Jesus name, amen.

Supporting verses
For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.” (Romans 10:9, 10) NLT
There is therefore now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1



No comments:

Post a Comment