Tuesday, May 24, 2011


Father in Heaven,
I sit in front of the television tonight weeping and praying as I watch killer tornadoes sweeping across the middle portion of our country, headed for friends and loved ones. I cover them with fervent prayer as I write and I know many, many other Christians are also praying. And I know you hear our prayers.
News from the aftermath of the storms breaks our hearts. The unbelievable numbers of injured, missing and dead staggers us. Pictures of destroyed homes and lives are difficult to view. It’s nearly impossible to wrap our minds around the thought that each number represents a human being. Each destroyed building once housed a family.
We know that this breaks your heart, too, Jesus, because you created these people. They’re our brothers and sisters, but they’re your children. You love them and you know your children are grieving, Lord. You know their pain won’t go away anytime soon.
But you see what we don’t see. You see all the ways you will work things out for their good. You how you will bring good out of this evil. You know the ways you will comfort and heal them. You know how you’ll provide for their physical, spiritual and emotional needs.
We can trust you to help them.
I’m so thankful for the strong character I see in the survivors. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear someone say they prayed to God during the tornado. I feel humbled when they express gratitude for their own survival and for the other lives you protected -- even though they lost everything. Obviously they value life more than possessions. You see that attitude, Lord, and I believe it blesses you, too. We thank you because we know you will not forsake them. We trust you completely, Jesus. Amen.

Supporting verses:

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.” John 1:1-3
I, I am he who comforts you.” Isaiah 51:12
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
“We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints.” Colossians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment